Chair of the Board of TNPA
SOUTH AFRICA: The Industrial Development Corporation’s outgoing CEO, Tshokolo Nchocho, has been appointed as chairperson of the board of directors of the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA).
He holds a BCom degree from the University of the North, a Master of Business Leadership (MBL) from UNISA School of Business, an MSc Finance (University of London-UK), as well as an Advanced Management Program (AMP) from Harvard University.
The appointment was announced by Public Enterprises Minister Pravin Gordhan and the chairperson of the Transnet Board, Andile Sangqu.
“This latest appointment serves as further affirmation of our commitment to enhance TNPA’s strategic position by equipping it with a depth of skills, knowledge and experience that will support our efforts to improve our ports and boost their contribution to the economy,” Gordhan said.
“We look forward to Nchocho’s contribution as we work to turnaround Transnet into a formidable catalyst for driving the country’s economic development and competitiveness. His experience adds a further positive dimension to the leadership base that is already on the TNPA Board,” Transnet chair Sangqu said.
Nchocho joins the following previously announced non-executive and executive directors on the TNPA Board:
- Khomotso Phihlela is an engineer with MBA, he worked in Transnet group as Group Executive Portfolio Management from 2003-2021 before moving to become the Chief Executive Officer of the Transnet National Ports Authority.
- Velile Dube holds close-on three decades of development across both the private and public arenas. Beginning his career in Marketing and Business Development, he served prominent multi-sector participants including Sanlam Life and Shell Southern Africa. In 2000 he attained his first Senior Management role, as General Manager of Aviation for Shell Aviation International; subsequently serving as General Manager of Commercial Fuels for Shell South Africa, Director of Globalisation for Eskom Enterprises, and General Manager of Commercial & Business Development for Transnet Port Terminals.
- Sue Lund has BA (Hons) and is an experienced executive manager and independent non-executive director, with a reputable track record in governance, infrastructure investment planning, public-private partnerships, sustainability, and business development.
- Valda Grossmann works as a Group Chief Information Officer & Chief Information Officer at AngloGold Ashanti, a minerals and mining company. As a business transformation leader and executive, she has over 20 years of experience in driving strategic change within large corporate and government environments.
- Clarence Benjamin is a Transnet board member, a Corporate Governance Consultant and a Chartered Accountant (CA) with over 25 years of experience in auditing and accounting. He recently served as the Team Leader for the Transnet Stream at the State Capture Commission (Zondo), where he oversaw the forensic analysis and reporting of alleged corruption and fraud.
- Pepi Silinga is currently Chief Executive (CE) of the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA). Before joining TNPA, he served as the CEO of the Coega Development Corporation, where he led the development and management of the Coega Special Economic Zone. He is a development practitioner of long standing with an extensive engineering and management background, and has previously served on several boards of various national and provincial public entities.
- Lionel Billings is currently Chief Financial Officer (CFO) of the Transnet National Ports Authority (TNPA). He is a financial executive and change agent with over 20 years’ experience in the finance industry. He was previously the Chief Financial Officer for the Coega Development Corporation. In his role as CFO, Billings provides strategic guidance and leadership to enable sound financial management.