Close
Ports recovering capacity after security breach
MRA ONLINE

Ports recovering capacity after security breach

Transnet restores operations to IT systems

SOUTH AFRICA: According to a statement from government, Transnet has managed to fully restore operations across all the ports following a security breach last week.

“The preliminary assessment of the cyber-attack indicates that Transnet and its customer data has not been compromised. Investigations are underway into the events and due process will take place,” read the statement.

The main system responsible for the container operations, the NAVIS N4 terminal operating system has been fully restored and customers are now able to access the customer links to facilitate imports and exports. The remaining systems will continue to be brought up in a staggered manner to minimise further risks and interruptions.

“Transnet Port Terminals, in collaboration with the shipping lines is facilitating the evacuation of urgent containers for the automotive, FMCG and agricultural sectors,” Transnet said in a statement.

The Durban container terminals are reported to be fully functional on NAVIS with a few other interface systems progressing towards full operation. This has brought back both the waterside and land-side operations and the truck booking system was activated on Wednesday.

The vessels are operating alongside the berths and the shipping lines and cargo owners have partnered with the terminal management to ensure efficiencies are increasing.

In the Eastern Cape, the container operations working with some of the IT functionalities are still being restored and the vessels are working in parallel with the manual processes. The Western Cape is fully restored and some of the IT functions are still being restored.

According to the statement, data has not been compromised in all the Transnet operations.

The Bulk, Break Bulk, Automotive sectors which include iron ore, coal and manganese, cars and some of the agricultural commodities that use the General Cargo system (GCOS) switched immediately to manual. This resulted in minimal operational disruptions in these operations across the port system.

Rail operations also continue to run on schedule, as per the train plan. Business continuity plans are in place to ensure safe operations during this time.

Platform for engagement

At the outset, Minister Pravin Ghordan started interactions with customers jointly with Transnet management to establish a platform for engagement with CEO’s and senior representatives of affected companies.

The shipping lines, accounting for 70 percent of the cargo moving across the ports, have given the assurance that the South African ports will not be by-passed and they will continue to work with Transnet during this recovery period.

“Government commends the leadership of the affected companies for their patience while Transnet worked to restore full operations. Credit goes to the Transnet IT teams who have ensured that the systems is restored within a week,” Transnet said.

Transnet is accelerating the work on strengthening the weaknesses identified in the IT environment. The force majeure is currently in place and under review with the intention to lift it in the coming days.

Print
169

Must read

Previous Next
Terms Of UsePrivacy StatementCopyright 2021 by More Maximum Media
Back To Top